INSTRUCTIONS FOR V.I.
There are two forms needed - an Application for Marriage License
and License and Certificate of Marriage. PLEASE follow these
instructions carefully as the Territorial Court is very strict
about the exactness of the forms. Forms that do not comply with
instructions will not be accepted by the Territorial Court.
The applications must reach the court house office a minimum
of 8 days prior to the wedding.
BOTH FORMS MUST BE TYPED OR IN VERY NEAT PRINT - no cursive
I. APPLICATION FOR MARRIAGE LICENSE
· This form must be filled out in its entirety by both you and your fiancé.
· Under "Permanent Residence" and "Usual Residence", please provide your complete physical address with zip code.
· Do not use any abbreviations, abbreviations for states are not accepted.
· Previous marital status refers to that of the individuals applying for a license.
· This form must be signed by each of you.
· The lines "License issued this
", "Filed this
" and "By Deputy Clerk are to be left blank.
II. LICENSE AND CERTIFICATE
· Lines 1-16 (Groom - Bride - and Signature sections) and 27-30 (bottom Groom & Bride sections must be filled out by both you and your fiancé.
· Please note on lines 4a and 11a the CITY AND STATE is required.
· Please note on lines 4b and 11b the month must be spelled out.
· Please TYPE or Print neatly and do not use any abbreviations.
· The complete street address, city and zip code are required on lines 3a and 10a.
· The form must be signed by each of you.
III. IN CASE OF DISSOLUTION
OF PRIOR MARRIAGE
· If either applicant has had a prior marriage the courts require a CERTIFIED divorce decree. This must be the complete decree and must be CERTIFIED with a judge's signature, a copy of a certified will not do. The Territorial Courts must keep the decree so if you do not wish to give up your original you can order another CERTIFIED decree by contacting the court that issued the divorce.
· If either applicant has been widowed, a copy of the
death certificate must be attached. No physical examination
or blood test is required. Please send both forms, along with
decrees if applicable and an informal note referring to your
wedding date by Priority Mail to:
Court of the Virgin Islands
P.O. Box 70
St. Thomas, USVI 00804